October 16, 2014

Saved so far about FIVE families by advising wife to not to file any cases against husband in a hurry - a memoir

I was just reflecting over my past career as a lawyer.

I started practice in District Court Junagadh in 1982

There I saw a senior advocate who was tenaciously fighting husband-wife cases.

He used to always win.

When he fought for wife, wife used win. When he fought for husband, husband used to win.

But in Bar room we junior advocates used to discuss ethics of his practice.

It was said that once any wife or husband climbed stairs of his office, their marriage has to be destroyed. There was no chance of survival of marriage once any wife or any husband had climbed stairs of his office!

This was 32 years ago. Thereafter, I moved to Ahmedabad to practice in High Court in 1986 and then moved to Supreme Court in 1990.

During this time I mostly did appellate work sent through other advocates.

Very little touch directly with clients and lower district courts.

As I reflect on past, I saw that I have saved family lives of at least five couples who are today living happily.

I did this by advising wife and his family, to not to file any cases in hurry on husband and his family.

I used to advise them to first cool down for few days.

The wife was usually turned out from husband with children. She used to weep. Her relatives used to come flared up in anger. Revenge was used to be on their mind.

After cooling them, I used to point out various legal cases which wife could file on husband and his family.

Then I used to point out to them consequences of filing such cases.

Then I used to tell them how much time these cases will take.

Then I used to ask them to think about what may happen to wife and her children when cases may keep going on in court for years.

They used to come with money. They were eager that I should file their cases. They wanted to pay me my fees.

But somehow, I did not want such fees. I was always reluctant to take their case.

I used to try to keep convincing them why they should not file any case and should let things cool down for some days.

I was advising them against my own financial interests.

Finally, they used to go away disheartened and disappointed.

And After few days, I used to learn that the couple and children have started living together and were happy.


Today same thing happened.

A wife reported that now her husband is all right. They are living together with four daughters. The husband has stopped drinking wine and is regularly going to work. They are all happy.

One year ago, this very wife had come to me to file case on her husband. At that time she was beaten. Her ornaments were not given. She escaped from matrimonial home to save herself from cruelty. Her life looked like hell to her.

I had consoled her and advised her to not to take any steps in hurry. I asked her to cool down for a couple of days. I asked her to stay cool for few days and let the husband realise how his life is when wife has gone!

She waited for a month then the husband had came. He had said sorry to wife and had taken her back to their home.

They are now living happy since a year.

This news came today, so it made me write this blog.

I think I have saved at least five such families so far by advising wife not to file case in a hurry.

Great satisfaction.

Haresh Raichura
16/10/14