October 20, 2014

"Suicide Note" by itself, no ground to register a F.I.R.

"Suicide Note" has not been given any special status in Evidence Law. It by itself is no ground to register a F.I.R.

I had seen a case. A scheduled caste government officer had committed suicide. In his suicide note, he had named many superior officers as responsible for his death.

Police had registered F.I.R against those named in Suicide Note. High Court had quashed this F.I.R. Supreme Court also maintained this order.

Suicide note may be a map to guide police investigator. But it contains only allegations. Police has to collect some evidence before taking action against persons named in suicide note.

Suicide note also indicates psychological state through which disease may be passing through at time of committing suicide. Sometimes, deceased is wanting to take revenge by bringing disgrace to those who troubled him.

This is a complex piece of evidence. But by itself alone, it is not enough to register a F.I.R.

Haresh Raichura
20/10/14