July 7, 2017

S-213 An intelligent way to win a case without any proof.....


On bench 5 Judges were sitting.

They asked Zadig, "Do you have any proof or witnesses to prove that you have given loan to this accused?"

Zadig said, "I have no witnesses. I took nothing in writing when I gave loan to this man. But I gave this loan when we were sitting on a square stone. That stone will give evidence. Please permit me to bring that stone as my witness. The big stone is far from here and it may take an hour to bring it here.. Please let me call for this big stone at my cost."

The Judge granted him permission and asked him to bring the stone at earliest.

Then it became 4 pm.

The court time was about to be over.

Judges asked Zadig impatiently, when his stone was coming.

Zadig said it should be coming in about half an hour.

Just then the accused shouted, "My Lord, Zadig is wrong. That stone is 500 km away from here. It will take two days to bring it here!"

Judges, turned to accused and said, "So it seems that you did took the loan. Otherwise, how would you know that the stone is 500 km away from here?

Thus, Zadig won this case even if he had no proof, simply by admission of accused.

This story is retold in my own way, from original story Zadig written by Voltaire in about year 1700.

Haresh Raichura 7/7/17