September 17, 2017

S-266 A Junior advocate yesterday wrote me on WhatsApp that though he is highly talented and highly educated...

A Junior advocate yesterday wrote me on WhatsApp that though he is highly talented and highly educated, he is unable to get hands-on-exposure to legal work and guidance.

I replied to him as under :-

"It pains me to give some work to some juniors and then being unable to pay them. If you want only exposure to legal work and guidance from my experiences, it will be my Honour to be be associated with a highly educated collegue like you.

You are welcome.....I am 62. Already thinking about retiring and returning to Ahmedabad to practice in my parent Gujarat High Court..

While I am here in Supreme Court, I can guide you as much as you can......"

****

After writing this, I remembered an advice given to me by my Senior Advocate, Vasant J. Desai. He was so much well known for his honesty, integrity and competence that once he was considered by High Court for Judgeship along with then Justice M.P.Thakkar.

He advised me as under : "A junior should always search for an old age Senior or a Senior Advocate who has some physical disabilities. Here he has got more chances of exposures and hand-on-experienes and benifit of experience of Senior Advocate. He should work so hard that he should make himself indispensable to Senior Advocate. He should make Senior Advocate fully defendant on him"...

Well, I learned a lot from. When he had heart attack when he was sitting in his office, he himself drove himself to Hospital, got himself admitted in hospital ICU ward, and then informed his family members and then passed away in ICU before his family members and others reached hospital !

It was my fortune to learn about the wise path in this legal profession from tips he used to give now and then to his juniors.

Haresh Raichura 17/9/17