September 12, 2017

Is it proper for a Counsel to tell Court that "I am Harvard- Oxford Graduate and Doctorate and therefore I should be given

Is it proper for a Counsel to tell Court that "I am Harvard- Oxford Graduate and Doctorate and therefore I should be given more than necessary time to argue my case?"

The Supreme Court Judges were conscious that every minute of Court Time is valuable. Those are  public money which are being consumed for every minute of Court Time.

It is within power of every Judge in India, to curtail time of arguments when they feel that counsel is playing to the gallery and is wasting time of court. In Appeal, if Counsel feels that he was not given enough time to argue, he can state this as Ground No. 1  and Appellate Court can remand the matter for rehearing if it is so convinced.

But use improper language to a Judge who is unwilling to grant more time, is contempt of court.

On 8th Sept,2017, I was truly disturbed by hearing words of a highly educated Counsel.

Haresh Raichura 12/9/2017