February 19, 2014

Once upon a time in Gujarat High Court - Salted Chana, Chilies, Onions & Fridays

Those were great days. People did rush to make money. But they also used to strengthen brotherhood and fun related aspects of life.

In those days, there was a tradition in Gujarat High Court Bar.

On every Friday, a week's hectic work gets over by 1 PM. All lawyers begin to relax.

Many cases good cases were lost. But many cases were won also. Some clients didn't pay fee. But some clients paid more than decided fees.

Overall week was good.

Just then, staff of High Court Bar Association will start serving a free dish of salted chana, sprinkled with green chilli pieces and onion slices to all lawyers who may be sitting in Bar Room.

The smell of dishes were fresh and refreshing.

Here all, rich lawyers and poor lawyers, all were treated equally.

They all shared dishes.

A feeling of brotherhood was infused in all members of bar within seconds.

All felt nice. Some wanted more extra dishes. They were given freely. No qualms.

All felt good. I also used feel good when I was there in Gujarat High Court.

Who started this tradition? Who was paying for these free dishes? I never asked these questions. I never knew.

When did this tradition stopped in Gujarat High Court, I do not know.

I only have sweet memories of these days.

Now I am in Supreme Court Bar Association. Richest advocates of India are practising here.

But here I see no sign of brotherhood and fun.

We daily receive SMS from Supreme Court Bar Association about death of some member and timing of his cremation.

But this does not infuse a sense of brotherhood in me.

I do not feel that I am connected in someway with other members of Bar.

Each one of us here, lives on his own island.

Times have changed. Rich lawyers have their own agenda. They hardly have any interesting in infusing a sense of brotherhood in members of Supreme Court Bar Association.

Life is like that.

Haresh Raichura
1213

Someone told me, above tradition is still there I am not sure