October 15, 2016

S -18 How to file Art 226 Writ petition in High Court in Rs.25/- only....This is a true story

How to file Art 226 Writ petition in High Court in Rs.25/- only....This is a true story. But please do not try to copy it. It may not work now.

In 1982, I had just joined to practise in Junagadh District Court. A widow came with complaint that her family pension was not being cleared by govt though she was trying since 2 years. Some technical objections were raised by govt.

I said, if she will pay me Rs.300/- plus bus expanses for going to Ahmedabad, I will file Writ petition in High Court for her.

She had no such money. I asked if she had Rs.25/- ?

She said yes. I took the money and typed an inland letter in name of widow to the then Justice I C Bhatt of Gujarat High Court.

The Judge treated this letter as Writ petition and pension of widow was released in a month.

Position Today: Probably in all High Courts and in Supreme Court, there are PIL Cell officers who look into such letters. They have guidelines. They dispose of letters as per guidelines. Sometimes they forward it to concerned authority, sometimes if issue is grave, file is put up before Judges on judicial side.

In 1982, there were no such guidelines. Therefore the letter worked. From his judgements, I felt that Justice I C Bhatt must be a kind person. This was my reason for posting this widow's letter to him.

This idea worked then. It may not work now if you try to copy this idea.

Haresh Raichura 15/10/2016