October 29, 2016

S-22 Learning English in Public Library , not in school.


English is one thing which made it possible for me to move from District Court practice to Supreme Court.

The municipal Higher Secondary School where I studied, annual tution Fee was 0:25 paise per year. My main learning happened in Public Library.

I studied English in Public Library, not in school.

In Library, I began with books of 1000 word vocabulary. Then 2000, then 3000, etc. These were well structured books. You learn new words by making inferences from words you already know and then grow. If I could not comprehend a book, I used to visit it two month later untill I can comprehend all its words. I did not look up in dictionary to understand new words. Meaning was to be learned from surrounding words.

Gradually, I finished reading almost all English books in Public Library. And learned English side by side.

Reader's Digest Condensed volumes of great novels, Sherlock Holmes books, Parry Masion Lawyers books are some of the books I still remember.

Tip : Next time when you may be reading any High Court or Supreme Court Judgement, try to see if there is some new word which you already did not know. The new words are ladders of knowledge.

Haresh Raichura. 29/10/16