September 26, 2013

Learning 3 things from Justice A. P. Ravani, a former judge of Gujarat High Court

Learning 3 things from Justice A. P. Ravani, a former judge of Gujarat High Court

Many good things can be said about this simple humanitarian judge. But this is only a short note.

1) Before he became a judge, he was advocate in Gujarat High Court. I have heard that lawyers who came from districts to brief him, used to lunch at his home also. Hospitality is famous in, we the kathawaris. Atithi Devo Bhav:

2) He was a bold judge. Judged without fear or favour. I like his one judgement most. ( Most lawyers will not like this judgement). An editorial in a local newspaper said, " Lawyers are Kajiya Dalal - Dispute brokers".

Lawyers filed defamation case against editor. Case came to his court. He said there was no defamation. Even Shakespeare said, "All lawyers are liars". These are class opinions. Not defamation.

3) His third quality I like most was simplicity of life. After retirement, once he had came to my residence in New Delhi when I was living in Gujarat Vihar.

At that time, I had 4 telephones.

He asked, why so many phones? I said, to impress Supreme Court clients, one need to have 4 telephones. He disagreed. He said, "We belong to a generation which will not use an inland letter, if a post card will serve purpose." He did not believe in vanity.

I agreed with him. But today I have 3 landline phones 7 mobile phones. I think our expensive lifestyle forces us to become needy and greedy.

Haresh Raichura
26/9/13