September 9, 2013

About a SC judge who refused post retirement jobs.- Justice C. K. Thakkar

About a SC judge who refused post retirement jobs.

There may be many Supreme Court and High Court Judges who may have refused post retirement jobs.

But, I know one SC Judge, Justice C.K.Thakkar. I have heard that he was offered post retirement post of Chairman of National Consumer Commission, but he declined the offer.

He was from Gujarat. He had flourishing practice as a lawyer in High Court.

At that time I was a junior advocate. Once I went to his desk in library and asked him about his secret of success. He said, "Read, Read and Read."

In any court, or library, wherever I saw him, he was always reading some case papers.

Once, in canteen, I asked him, "I have heard that you are likely to be elevated to judgeship. Is it true?"

He replied,"No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow."

When he retired as Supreme Court Judge, he mentioned about sacrifice which his wife had to give for his judgeship.

His wife Madhuben Thakkar was also a flourishing advocate in High Court.

When Justice Thakkar was offered Judgeship, he consulted his wife,"If I accept judgeship, then you will have to give up law practice. Will you?"

Madhuben asked him, "If I were offered judgeship, will you be willing to give up law practice... ?"

Well, finally, Madhuben agreed to give up law practice and Justice C.K. Thakkar was appointed Judge of the Gujarat High Court.

Then he became Chief Justice of Bombay High Court. For brief time he also hold post of Governor of Maharashtra.

Later he was elevated as Judge of Supreme Court.

Haresh Raichira
9/9/13