September 24, 2013

Learning from Justice M. B. Shah, former Judge, Supreme Court of India

Learning from Justice M. B. Shah, former Judge, Supreme Court of India

Supreme Court Bar will never forget Justice M.B. Shah.

Integrity, honesty and the way a Judge deals with members of Bar leaves lasting impression on mind of lawyers.

I do not want to narrate here landmark judgements given by him. I only want to say whatever little I learned from him.

1) A widow was cheated out of land. For strange reasons, her lawyers kept losing in all courts.
When case came to me, there was 5 years delay. The case was hopelessly spoiled in courts below.

Fortunately, it came before Justice M B Shah.

Things changed. I was allowed to challenge one more order. The matter was admitted.

After some years widow got back his land which was worth about Rs.2 Crores.

2) When he was judge in Gujarat High Court, I argued a case before him.

I argued that it is unbelievable that a man will kill another person just for breaking queue before a tanker of drinking water.

He said, this was seventh such incident in this month.

Those were days of scarcity of water. People were killing others for turn in queue for drinking water.

This was a shock to me.

3) Once when he was presiding in Supreme Court. I was arguing a criminal appeal. I pointed out 100 defects in case.

He taught me, this is not the way to argue a criminal appeal. You should try to appeal to conscience of Judge.

This was a valuable lesson for me.

There are many other things for which I am indebted to his lordship.

But this is my short note.

Haresh Raichura
24/9/13