August 27, 2014

"For whom should I earn?" - said Justice T. U. Mehta - a brief memoir

When I shifted from Gujarat High Court to practice in Supreme Court, Justice T.U.Mehta was practising as a Senior Advocate in Supreme Court.

I had few occasions to engage him in cases of my clients.

Once he said,"For whom should I earn?"

There are stories about Supreme Court advocates charging Lakhs of rupees for appearing on one day of hearing.

But this is not true about High Court Judges who have retired and are practising as Senior a Advocates in Supreme Court.

Their values are different.

They are not here for money.

They are here for giving their service to judiciary.

They are not keen about charging lots of fees from clients.

Justice T. U.Mehta served in Supreme Court as Senior Advocate for many years.

One day he said, "For whom should I earn?.... I have two daughters only. They are married and settled U.S. No need to send money to them. Then for whom should I earn?"

One day he closed work as Senior Advocate and returned to Gujarat. There he spent full time in active social services.

The point is :

Among lawyers and judges, there are good human beings who believe in giving their whole life in serving the society.


Haresh Raichura
27/8/14