December 10, 2016

S-56 Tips for Young Advocates : An Example of passions for reading law books.

An Example of passions for reading law books.

In 1990 when I came to Supreme Court, I saw a man standing in lobby near Library. He was keeping laws books, bare Acts etc for selling to Lawyers.

I saw one pecular thing. When there were no customers, he would pick up one of his law books and will start reading it. When some customer will come, he will attend him, sell him book and then will resume reading one of his law books.

After some years, I saw that he had become Advocate. Now he was sitting in Library. He had no cases. Though so many Lawyers were his friends, no one gave him placement or work.

Whenever I saw him, he was always reading some law book and yes,  now he was also making notes

There was contentment on his face. No sign of frustration. He was always reading calmly and peacefully. I never saw him gossiping with other lawyers.

One day I asked him, what was his philosophy of life and success.

He gave me following reply.

" I rise when the Sun rises and I sleep when the Sun sets down. My mother always waits for me in evening. She eats only after I have eaten. So I go home early."

This was his philosophy of life and success.

After some years I did not see him. I presumed that he must have shifted to trial court practice.

But I still remember his philosophy of life.

Haresh Raichura 10/12/16