July 16, 2014

"I swear in the name of my son that I do many cases of poor widows free, at my costs"- A lady advocate said #TrueStory

Today I had a conversation with a lady advocate of Ahmedabad.

In foreign countries, there are laws requiring each lawyer to spend 10% of Income for doing legal cases of poor free. They cannot charge even expanses from such poor clients. They have to show this expenditure in Income Tax Returns.

In India, there is no such law.

Yet, there are thousands of lawyers who do legal cases of poor free. They do not charge even expanses from such people.

Yesterday, I succeeded in Supreme Court in a case of a widow.

I conveyed the good news to widow's lady advocate in High Court.

She was overjoyed to hear this.

She was fighting case of this widow since several years free.

The case involved many many hearings in trial court and High Court. And still the justice was not correctly done.

When I gave him good news that widow has succeeded in Supreme Court, she burst out emotionally.

She said,"I swear in the name of my son that I do many cases of widows and poor free...... Even I pay expanses and court fees in their cases....... I am a Jain by religion. I believe in serving 'living beings - Jivdaya'...... I often serve cows and other animals... These are rituals in our religion..."


Well, this is one lady advocate.

But I assure you that there are thousands and thousands advocates who provide free legal services to poor.

And they are honest and compassionate. Though they may be living in a rented house.

They do not advertise when they help someone.

Media never writes about them. Never gives publicity or fame to good deeds of such lawyers.

Therefore, I call them "Lesser Known Good Lawyers". The lady advocate in this story is known as Malaben in Gujarat High Court. Her contact number is +91 90-99-913928

The point is, please, do not assume that all lawyers are liars. Also do not assume that all lawyers are bad human beings.

Haresh Raichura
15/07/2014