November 22, 2016

S-40 Tips for Junior Advocates:-How to overcome initial fear of arguing.

When I joined as Advocate in Junagadh District Bar, a Govt pleader told someone about me, "He cannot even speak. How can he become Advocate!"

Well, I became Advocate. And moved form District Court to High Court and from High Court to Supreme Court.

Moral : Ignore opinions of others about your strengths and weaknesses. They may not be fully aware.

2) When I moved to High Court, I had difficulty in addressing Court in English as my mother tongue was Gujarati.

I went to room of clerks and told them, "If any of your Advocates has not come from outstation, and if adjournment is required to mentioned to court, please give me chance to mention. In return, I will pay Rs.50/- for each opportunity to mention given to me.

Clerks promised to give me such opportunities and said that they do not want my Rs.50.

Well, they gave me opportunites and I recovered from initial fears of addressing Court.

It is natural for every junior to have such fears in early days.

Haresh Raichura 22/11/2/16