November 13, 2016

S-31 Tips for Young Advocates : Give top priority to polishing your English Language.

Give top priority to polishing your English Language. Learning workable English is not enough.

For some more years to come, the Language of Supreme Court and High Courts will remain English. It is better to be best in this language if you have intention to practise Law.

I remember an incident. I was in 8th Standards in a Gujarati Medium Municipal school in 1968. That day, it was period of English subject. English Teacher was Shri L.M.Mehta.

The teacher had checked all exercise books and he was in process of returning books to students.

Suddenly he lifted my exercise book and pointed out to the whole class what I had written on front page of the book.

All others had written

" Subject = English".

Whereas in my book, I had written words,

" Lovely Subject : English".

The teacher appreciated this in presence of whole class. This had positive effect on me.

Thereafter, my interest in learning English grew very fast. I read books of Grammer, Sentence Structures, vocabulary, books pointing at common errors in English etc. I read several books of several authors and I tried to learn better English.

After graduation, when I joined Bar at Junagadh District Court,, I found that only few senior Lawyers had command over English. Rest were fumbling because of study in Gujarati Medium.

I think it is my knowledge of English Language that helped me to move from District Court to High Court and from High Court to Supreme Court. Had I neglected English, I may have been still practising in Junagadh District Court.

My suggestion is only this:

Learning worktable English is not enough. Try to polish it as much as you can. Give it a higher priority.

Haresh Raichura 13/11/16