November 12, 2016

S30 Tips for Young Advocates: How to look like an expert lawyer.

What I did in 1982, may not work today. But I write this for whatever worth it may be.

I had just joined Bar. I had no cases. So in spare time,  I wrote two booklets.

One was on Prevention of Food Adulteration Act. I wrote in simple Gujarati language so that people can understand it. It covered important topics from this law which may be useful to layman and all shopkeepers.

1000 copies cost me Rs.1000/-. I priced booklet at Rs.5 and distributed to few footpath vendors for selling.

I think second booklet was about Motor Accident Claims Cases. It was also distributed in same way.

I remember vaguely that I got two cases because of these booklets.

Fees received from these cases were much more than costs of booklets.

Secondly, I saw that a fortnightly called "Imarat" was published from Vadodara. It was specially for builders and Govt contractors. I began to send articles about law of contracts and tenders. The articles were published.

I vaguely remember that I received a case of one builder because of these articles.

Tip : If you sit down to write a book on some specific law, the process of writing book itself can make you expert on that point of law.

Haresh Raichura 12/11/16