October 25, 2013

A lawyer should not use harsh / emotional language in pleadings or during oral arguments.

Normally, I am sober. But sometimes, harsh injustice to client, insensitivity of system, colours up my eyes and I find myself unable to control my harsh emotions.

Today, one judge asked me to read first line of second of Page of my case. There I had started emotional story of my client by using opening harsh words, as if I am writing a blog....

I realised my mistake.

The courts rooms are Rooms of Reasons.

Here, rival parties may be angry on may be burning with passions of revenge and fires of injustice.

But lawyers and judges are supposed to reason in passion free atmosphere of law. Emotional expressions here disturb reasoning process.

The Judge censored. "Please do not use such harsh words."

The words of the Judge were few. But they had impact.

I hope to improve and tone down harshness from my words and pleadings.

Haresh Raichura
25/10/13