October 17, 2013

Gandhiji's confession about his INTIMATE EUROPEAN CONTACTS and 'Hollowness of many of his pretensions'

Gandhiji's confession about his INTIMATE EUROPEAN CONTACTS and 'Hollowness of many of his pretensions'

I found following paragraph in his book "My experiments with truth" in chapter XI INTIMATE EUROPEAN CONTACTS

"Now again, as I start on this chapter, I find myself confronted with a fresh problem.

What things to mention and what to omit regarding the English friends of whom I am about to write is a serious problem.

If things that are relevant are omitted, truth will be dimmed.

And it is difficult to decide straightaway what is relevant, when I am not sure about the relevancy of of writing this story.

I understand more clearly today what I read long ago about the inadequacy of all autobiography as history.

I know that I do not set down in this story all that I remember.

Who can say how much I must give and how much I must omit in the interest of truth.

And what would be the value in a court of law of the Inadequate evidence being tendered by me of certain events in my life?

If some busybody were to cross-examine me on the chapters already written, he could probably shed much more light on them, and If it were a hostile critic's cross-examination, he might even flatter himself for having blown up 'the hollowness of many of my pretentions'


Emphasis and underlines in above paragraph are supplied by me. I have only tried to highlight his trueness in telling us that he has not been able to write all that he remembered.

-Haresh Raichura
17/10/13