October 4, 2013

How lawyers admit their mistakes during hearings in Court.

How lawyers admit their mistakes during hearings in Court.

A. General Rule of Admitting a mistake

After admitting a mistake, do not add "but...". Do not try to justify mistake. Do not try to explain your mistake. Add nothing after admitting a mistake.

If you want to add something then add, "This will not happen again".

This is a good way of admitting a mistake.


In Court Rooms

It is duty of advocates to make correct statements of facts. Errors in understanding of law can be condoned because there are multiple way in which law can be understood. Mistakes in facts are frowned upon by courts.

When a lawyer is found to have made a mistake, if judge has pointed out mistake, he says, I am obliged, Sir. I made a mistake. I stand corrected."

If other side lawyer has pointed out mistake, he says, I am obliged to my learned brother for pointing out this. I stand corrected."

Thus, there are many nice ways of admitting a mistake.

The more nice you be, the more nice you are.


Haresh Raichura
4/1013