March 25, 2012

My somewhat doubtful views on entry of FDI in Retail in India

I am layman. I don't understand economics. But my heart says, FDI in retail is not good for me and you.

My heart gives me following reasons:


(1) In earlier blog post, "How one man can stop parliament from passing any bill" , I referred to a hollywod movie NETWORK. This movies was exactly on power of one man to send a telegram to Prime Minister and ask him to STOP before going further.

Please refer to same post if you are reading this first time.

Further story of Movie.

When millions of Telegrams flooded White House, the deal was put on hold. The TV Anchor who opposed deal and asked people to send telegrams, is called by a Rich Diplomat at his house for a talk, and there, he explains America's Interest in going ahead with deal.

He mainly gives TWO following reasons:

(a) He shows a plastic comb to TV Anchor and says, "I am a salesman. If someone asks me to sell this plastic comb for one million dollars to a foreign country, it is my job to do it. I can do it"

(b) Billions of dollars of Amerca are going to Arab countries by way of oil payments, by way of aids, by way of wars etc. All these money must come back to America. This is the simple economics. This is why you should tell on your TV show to all people that this proposed deal is good for America.

The TV Anchor refused to do so. In next TV Show, he was shot dead in front of TV Cameras and when whole nation was watching.

There the picture ends.

CONCLUSION : WHATEVER MONEY WILL COME TO INDIA THROUGH FDI IN RETAIL SECTOR, WILL AGAIN GO BACK TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES WITH LOTS OF PROFIT. SINCE IT IS RETAIL SECTOR, YOU AND I WILL FEEL THE SQUEEZE.


(2). ARGRUMENT TWO: RETAIL SECTOR IS VEIN OF COUNTRY. HERE POTATO, ONION AND SALT WILL ALSO BE SOLD AND THEIR PRICES IN MARKET WILL BE DECIDED BY COMPANIES SITTING ABROAD.

NOW imagine, position of then Ruling Government of India, if these Foreign Companies decide to INCREASE PRICE OF ONION AND POTATO by three times! The Government of India will come under perpetual blackmail of these foreign companies and this will start ruin of an econimically strong nation.! Please halt here, and read this para again and try to understand things which I have avoided saying.


(3) REASON THREE : Entry of FDI will bring huge amount for building Big Retail Malls. Whom this Building Contracts will be given? Of Course to kiths and kins of those political leaders who facilitated entry of FDI. May be also to kiths and kins of Opposition parties also.

Since entry of FDI in States will be left to each States, thses contracts may also go to kiths and kins of State Political parties if they are in construction or retail good supply business.


FINAL REASON :

Remember, Three Idiots movie starring Amir Khan ?

Put your right hand on left side of your heart, and ask it, if All is Well with FDI in retail?

If answer comes yes. Fine.

But if answer comes No, then just don't rely on opposition or political parties
or on any one else to protect interest of your country.

I have done my little bit by writing this and publishing this on blog. I can do nothing further.

I may add a recent observation. Some years ago a company opened a department store to sell vegetables. At that time there were Two nearby vegetable markets run by poor vendors. People used to go there. Then suddenly police raided on these two vegetable markets ran by poor vendors and closed the markets.

Even then, the Store could not make profit. The Store finally closed down. And the two vegetable markets run by poors are back in business at same place.

The point is, once the FDI Retail will come, it will be main job of all government departments that these companies are happy. Small retail shops will be wiped out if it is necessary for companies to take back profits to their home countries.

I will welcome FDI in Retails if it comes to India. I will be happy if they appoint me as their legal counsel for their Supreme Court matters. Because that is my living.

The ball now is in your court. See if you know meaning of the phrase "Play The Game" coined by late Gandhian and Cricketer, Vijay Merchant.

I dedicate this article to Vijay Merchant.


Haresh Raichura
25/3/2013
Posted via DraftCraft app