April 30, 2012

Do Frogs have Right to Live under Article 21 of Constitution of India ?

Some Jain Community people wanted that Dissection of Frogs in Medical Courses(in those days) should be banned. They filed a writ petition through me in Supreme Court, many years ago.

Matter was drafted on lines suggested by a senior advocate and retired Chief Justice. We also engaged a senior advocate to argue pro bono.

The writ petition was listed before Non-vegetarian Bench of Judges.( It makes little difference whether your cases is listed before vegetarian or non vegetarian judges)

We argued for Right to Live for frogs. But we failed and matter was dismissed summarily.

But I think question of Law is still open.

I remembered this case again when I noticed that a twitter-friend in Japan is trying to persuade people not to eat fishes as the sea is polluted by nuclear accident there.

I think frogs and fishes have Right to Live as much as we have. But then question will arise what some people eat? It will affect their right to Eat also.

45 Years ago, I read a question for which till today I have not found any answer.

The question was : "Rice makes the people grow and people make the rice grow. But why people grow too many for rice?

Haresh Raichura
30/42012